Thursday, November 5, 2009

Preview Post:



















Sketch: roughly worked out the compositional elements and some value structure.
















I've somehow managed to channel Lisa Frank...

Process: This image has come a long way from where I started, and I'm desperately pushing for this piece to be a strong final. I began with scanning the original composition in pencil, then made a view cut and dry revisions (hence, Beyonce's offset mouth... her face is always giving me problems). I will scan the pencil drawing again once the female hands and umbrella are rendered. I plan on proceeding with the ladies in the same manner as Jay-Z, but with a cooler pallet and less contrast.
This process is time consuming, but surprisingly I'm having a blast.

3 comments:

  1. I'm really excited to see this finished. I love the way you handle digital work in a traditional way...Your stuff always looks like paintings or, like with this one, colored pencil drawings! It's coming along really awesomely, and I like the difference in palette idea...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, very nice progress. Those colors are crazy (awesome, that is)! If this is what happens when you channel Lisa Frank, I'll encourage you to barf out rainbows more often. Looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the feedback, both of you!

    Kayla: I'm always tackling the challenge of introducing the "look" of traditional mediums with digital work, and I'm glad you think it is working successfully so far.

    Derrick: Thanks! mmm, rainbow barf... that mental image makes me want to refrain from eating skittles.

    ReplyDelete